Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What My Trip to Europe Taught Me about East Africa

I recently went on a week long trip to Europe to meet other Ambassadorial Scholars, go to the Berlin Rotary Peace Forum, and visit a school in London.  Culture shock wouldn't even begin to describe what I was dealing with as I took advantage of a Starbucks on every corner in Berlin. As fun as the adventure was, I kept thinking that choosing Uganda was the right choice for me. Since I was a little girl, I've always wanted to help others and basically save the world. Well, I know I'm not Wonder Woman (even though my skype screen name says otherwise). But, I do feel as though I can make a difference, even if it is a small difference.

This realization came to me as I was watching "The Lorax". If you haven't seen that movie or read the children's book, I recommend you pick it up. Dr. Suess was an amazing man that had the ability to teach young children how to read as well as teach lessons about equality and social issues. The quote at the end of the movie is what really hit home for me:
 
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
 



That quote really hit home because I had spent the past couple of days listening to Rotarians and Rotaractors from all across Europe discuss what they wanted to do in areas that are plagued with extreme poverty and bad water. I talked to a Rotarian from France about his club's project in Cameroon, and a German Rotarian about his project in Ethiopia. All great projects and for the better good. I even watched a presentation about some European Rotaractors doing an international service project in South Africa called Rotaract Hearts. I just felt as though we all could be doing more.

What I am seeing in Uganda and Tanzania is different than what some of the people were talking about in their presentations. Being on the ground and living among the people gives you a different perspective than just coming to a country every few months to do a project. That's when I thought "why don't any of these well off clubs of Europe or the U.S. partner with some clubs in Africa?" The German Rotarian answered this question for me "There's a negative stereotype about working with clubs in Africa.  People here say they want to help, but they know there may be a risk involved." Now, that's not to say that there aren't clubs in Europe and North America that don't partner with clubs in Africa. I've seen some great projects in Uganda and Tanzania that are a result of partnerships. But, that negative stereotype is what I couldn't shake.

I kept thinking about this conversation with the Rotarian for the rest of the week. There are so many people that have a need in Africa that you would think people would push through those stereotypes and help people. But, I suppose that's not what happens. Even when I was talking to the other Ambassadorial Scholars about my experiences, their reaction to my experience was usually a blank face. I knew they couldn't relate unless they have actually been there, but it was a bit of a downer to realize that they didn't fully understand that people here live more without than with what westerners would consider the "basics to life".

So, after that conversation with the German Rotarian and the other Ambassadorial Scholars, I realized that maybe I can be that bridge to break down those stereotypes. I mean, I know that's what the scholarship is for, but what if I made it a personal mission?  I want to help East Africa in any way possible, but if people were actually able to get past those negative stereotypes and try to empower the people in East Africa, then would the Rotarians and organizations from Europe and North America be more willing to help?  That's when Dr. Suess' quote encouraged me to actually be an advocate for equality in East Africa. If I don't, then who will? I'm sure there are many people in the region who are doing the same as me, but it wouldn't hurt for me to utilize my connections and bond with Rotary in order to help and empower people in East Africa. Especially because I look like an East African, my vantage point is surely a unique one.

I just keep thinking 'Africans are people too. Don't they deserve the same rights as people in the U.S. and Europe? Don't they deserve clean drinking water? Healthcare? A good education? A safe and clean environment?' So, my trip to Europe has taught me that even though I have my hard times in East Africa, I really do love the region and want to help it as much as I possibly can...because unless someone like me cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me directly.

1 comment:

  1. Good perspective on the vantage point of the European clubs towards Africa. Hopefully the level of trust in the citizens of Africa will improve and the world will provide difference making assistance to those in need.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your comment! Be sure to follow my blog if you are a google user.