Friday, December 14, 2012

Kwanzaa yangu ya kwanza

I’m started to prepare to go home for the holidays. Not all scholars choose to do this for one reason or another, but I think I need a little vacation.  Because I’m not a traditional student, if I were to stay in Kampala, I would ultimately continue to work on my research day and night as I am doing right now. So, I think this will be a great time to distress, relax and catch up with friends and family for a couple of weeks.

I have been getting some interesting questions regarding how Ugandans celebrate Christmas. I get asked “do they celebrate Kwanzaa?” “Is it a more African Christmas?” to which I just respond “no and no”. I can’t say I’m shocked at how Christmas is celebrated over here. It just seems so much like home – but hot like it’s summer time. Everyday seems to get a little hotter and I sweat more and more. I’m wearing more dresses and shorts due to the extreme heat and find myself getting dehydrated more often because of this as well. But when I go to Oasis or Garden City (malls), I see all the decorations hanging and holiday music playing. To be honest, that’s the only time I feel like it’s Christmas time. Then I walk outside and recall that I’m in Africa.

I do want to address the Kwanzaa question. Many people assume that Kwanza is an African tradition or celebration but it’s actually an African American celebration. Perhaps because ‘kwanza’ is a Swahili word for ‘first’, people assume that it’s an East African tradition. And perhaps people are used to seeing the Kente cloth around this time of year, but again, that’s an African American thing. The purpose of kwanza was to unite the African American community.  It’s really a young celebration when you compare it to other holidays around this time of year. After a little bit of research on what Kwanza was all about, I decided that I should give it a try this year. Sometimes, African Americans come to Africa to discover their roots, I’m not one of those. I came to learn about the culture and government structure as a result of colonialism. But, I am learning a lot about myself and I have learned that my culture is quite unique. And Kwanzaa interest me because it is directly related to my heritage. It isn’t meant to replace a spiritual holiday such as Christmas or Hanukkah, but to unify a community by practicing 7 principles for 7 days (Dec 26 - Jan 1):

  • Umoja (Unity): To strive for and to maintain unity in the family, community, nation, and race.
  • Kujichagulia (Self-Determination): To define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves, and speak for ourselves stand up.
  • Ujima (Collective Work and Responsibility): To build and maintain our community together and make our brothers' and sisters' problems our problems, and to solve them together.
  • Ujamaa(Cooperative Economics): To build and maintain our own stores, shops, and other businesses and to profit from them together.
  • Nia (Purpose): To make our collective vocation the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness.
  • Kuumba (Creativity): To do always as much as we can, in the way we can, in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited it.
  • Imani (Faith): To believe with all our hearts in God, our people, our parents, our teachers, our leaders, and the righteousness and victory of our struggle.

I find all of this to be very interesting, and being that I’ve dedicated this year to learning about different cultures, why not dive into my own unique culture and try Kwanzaa for the first time this year. I know there has been a bit of a backlash to Kwanzaa for some time in the African American community, but I’m going to choose to do this for my own learning experiences.  I would also like to note that all of the gifts that are given during Kwanzaa are handmade. I think that adds a great personal touch to the tradition and meaning of Kwanzaa, if you ask me. These are all principles that I think every person, no matter their race or nationality, can learn from.

This is a big deal to me personally because I grew up in a predominately white area. I was oftentimes the only black female in my classes, so many people made comments to me about being African American and looking African (most of the time not very nice comments).  I admit, I was ashamed of who I was any my ancestors. But, as time passed and I matured, I realized that I have nothing to be ashamed about. What happened to my ancestors wasn’t their fault and it’s in the past now. All I can do is make sure that what they fought for lives on and I pass it down to my children. Since coming to East Africa, I have been questioned repeatedly about my heritage and now I say with pride that I’m African American because it’s unique but more importantly, it makes up who I am inside and outside. But my past doesn’t define my future, it’s my actions that define my future.  I hope that this holiday season, I learn something from my first celebration of Kwanza and that I can teach everyone reading this something too.

If you’re interested in learning more about Kwanzaa, check out the documentary “The Black Candle” or read this interesting article.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment! Be sure to follow my blog if you are a google user.