Tuesday, November 13, 2012

It's Adventure Time!

This past weekend was my 24th Birthday! It seemed that many people back home and here in Uganda were worried that I was going to be homesick. Boy! Were they wrong! Granted, I do miss home at times (like Starbucks, my dad and dogs, and Family Guy), but how can someone miss home when they can go on some pretty awesome adventures? This birthday was one to remember. I had a friend from back home who has relocated to Kisumu, Kenya for work come to Kampala over the weekend. It was a little funny to see her here because we've always made plans to hang out and go rock climbing back in the D.C. area, but our schedules never allowed for it. But here, we couldn't pass up an opportunity to go explore East Africa and do some extreme sports. My friend came up with the idea of going rafting on the Nile. Of course I said "YES!!" because I haven't been to the Nile since March and it would have been only the second weekend of being free from a Rotary/Rotaract event. 

So, early Saturday morning, we caught the shuttle provided by the rafting company to the location where we get the safety brief. While chatting over some coffee, we were able to meet some really interesting expats who either live in Uganda, the Congo, or are backpacking East Africa. We started to share the different places we had been and where we all wanted to go for our next adventure. Once we were all suited up and breakfast in hand, we got onto the bus and made the bumpy trip to the spot where we take off on the Nile.

My friend and I decided to go on the "crazy" raft which basically means we wouldn't avoid the rapid water (which means a higher chance of flipping over). Looking back, that may not have been so smart, but it sure was fun! On the calm water, we practiced pulling people in the water, how to paddle, and what to do WHEN we flipped and how to not fight against the current. Easy enough? Of course, in calm water, it's always easy to do these things.

So the adventure began with the first rapid (which was a grade 5) and we flipped. I haven't been rafting before and nor have I been thrown from a boat before, but instinctively, I panicked. I was safe, and was pulled back onto the raft once the boat was flipped back over, but the shock was one I wasn't expecting. We all had a good laugh at my reaction but knew that we all would be thrown out of the boat eventually. I would say it got easier as we progressed down the river, but it didn't. My nerves got better at being thrown around, but my adrenaline was constantly high as we would paddle towards a wall of water. But time after time, I was more happy that we pushed through and made it through the rapids and no one got hurt. It was actually a lot of fun! It may be scary for a split second, but you start to have fun when you realize that you're still alive.
 



After being on the Nile for the entire day, we ate lunch and enjoyed a Nile Special (a Ugandan beer). It seemed to really fit the occasion. We all agreed that our bodies were so exhausted but on the river, we didn't feel tired at all. It wasn't until we were on land that we could really feel the impact. When we arrived back in Kampala, my friend and I decided to go for a dinner celebration at a place that my flatmate recommended. And let me tell you, there is nothing better than ending an crazy day than some good food and a cozy resturant. Over dinner, my friend and I kept replaying the adventure and we couldn't believe at some of those instances that no one got hurt! Now, I warn anyone who is thinking about rafting on the Nile (or rafting rapids) that it's not for everyone. If you aren't a strong swimmer, then don't do it. If you don't like near death experiences, then rafting may not be for you. Not saying that you're close to dying when rafting, but your mind thinks you are when you can't see anything but water is all around you and waves are crashing over your head.

Although the adventure ended on Saturday, Sunday was the icing on the cake...or in this case, CUPCAKE! My friends keep hearing me ask about where I can find cupcakes in Kampala. That's one thing that I miss that I didn't expect to really miss. So, for lunch on Sunday, they surprised me with cupcakes! I couldn't have asked for a better set of friends (all over the world) and a better birthday. Thank-you everyone for your birthday wishes and making my birthday the best yet! Next year will be hard to top this one.





Please feel free to leave a comment or question. I think the comment box is working now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment! Be sure to follow my blog if you are a google user.